July 19, 2023 – Canada is fast becoming the laughing stock of the world as chaos defined today’s announcements in the ongoing west coast Canada port strike. Here is a quick summary of what has happened today:
- The Federal Labour Minister calling any continued strike action illegal
- The union issuing a 72 hour strike notice as required by its collective bargaining agreement
- The Port of Vancouver announcing that the port will reopen tonight but will close on Friday in anticipation of more strike action
- News reports emerge that the government will recall parliament to pass back to work legislation
- Late tonight, the union cancelled its strike notice
With these events, it seems very likely that cooler heads will prevail and the union will agree to the mediated settlement and avoid more chaos. More news as it develops.